Follow this check list to make sure that your home stays warm, cozy, and secure during the winter months!
Secure Your Home
- Lock all doors and windows.
- Trim bushes around the house to keep your home unobstructed and visible.
- Keep your outdoor space bright by adding lights.
- Invest in a security system to keep your packages untouched and your home monitored while you’re away.
Inspect Your Home For Drafts
- Apply caulking and/or weatherstripping to doors and windows.
- Add a door sweep to prevent cold air from seeping in from the space beneath your doors and floors.
- Repair cracked or broken windows.
- Switch to heavier curtains to keep cool drafts from windows away.
Protect Your Pipes
- Wrap your pipes with foam insulation.
- Close foundation vents.
- Open cabinet doors under sinks.
- Keep your thermostat at 60 degrees minimum overnight.
- Find your main water shut-off so that you know where it is in case of an emergency.
Get Your Heating Elements In Shape
- Have a furnace and boiler inspection.
- Change your furnace filter frequently.
- Clean your vents and radiators to keep the heat circulating.
- Check your oven seal for cracks and replace the seal to cut down on cooking times and prevent heat loss.
- Hire a chimney sweep.
- Pick up some firewood. Look for seasoned firewood that is at least a year old, the only type of wood you can burn fresh or green is ash.